10 Points You Know About Ex-Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Shot
Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe was shot in Nara on Thursday, Japanese news agency NHK reported.
The news agency said that Shinzo was shot while he was giving a speech.
1. "Former prime minister Abe died at a hospital in Kashihara city, Nara, where he was receiving medical treatment. He was 67," local reports said citing a senior member of Abe's Liberal Democratic Party.
2. Ex Japan prime minister Shinzo Abe was shot in Nara, Current Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters earlier in the day as he abandoned his campaign trail and flew to Tokyo.
"It is absolutely unforgivable. I condemn this act in the strongest terms," he said.
3. There is One man who is suspected as the shooter, has been taken into Police custody, chief cabinet secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said.
Local media identified the shooter man name is Tetsuya Yamagami and he is 41-year-old, citing police sources.
4. Shinzo Abe was giving a speech at an event ahead of Sunday's upper house elections when gunshots were heard, NHK and the Kyodo news agency said.
5. "He was giving a speech and a man came from behind," a young woman at the scene told NHK.
"The first shot sounded like a toy. He didn't fall and there was a large bang. The second shot was more visible, you could see the spark and smoke," she added .
6. Shinzo Abe shot and was bleeding from the neck, a source from the ruling party told the Jiji news agency.
7. Several media outlets reported that he appeared to have been shot from behind, possibly with a shotgun.
8. Abe, Japan's longest-serving prime minister, held office in 2006 for one year and again from 2012 to 2020, when he was forced to step down due to the debilitating bowel condition ulcerative colitis.
9. Japan is one of the world's toughest gun-control laws, and annual deaths from firearms in the country.
10. IF you want gun licence in Japan then it is is a long and complicated process even for Japanese citizens, who must first get a recommendation from a shooting association and then undergo strict police checks.
Japan Ex PM Shinzo Abe Dies After Being Shot At Campaign Event
Ex-Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Shot in City Of Nara During The Speech